European Public Figures
The brief description provided for each of the interviewees is based on their positions at the time of interview.
Director of the Center for European Union Enlargement Studies at the University of Central Europe in Budapest, former Minister of Foreign Affairs for Hungary and former member of the European Commission.
- Interviewed at the Continental Hotel – Lausanne, 16 November, 2012. Length: 1 hour 10 min.
José Manuel Barroso
President of the European Commission
- Interviewed at the Foundation – Dorigny Farm, 7 October 2011. Length: 28 min.
Vice-President of the European Commission, responsible for “Freedom, Security, and Justice.”
- Interviewed at the Foundation – Dorigny Farm, 16 May, 2009. Length: 1 hour 15 min.
Former colleague of Jean Monnet at the ECSC. Deputy Secretary General of the European Commission.
- Interviewed in Düsseldorf (Germany), 2 September, 2003. Length: 3 hours 58 min.
Jean Monnet’s former Head of Cabinet at the High Authority of the ECSC. Associate Head, later Head of the delegation of the European Communities to the United Kingdom. Former Co-president of the Trilateral Commission. Former President of the European Movement International.
- Interviewed in Paris, 31 October, 2008 and 19 December, 2008. Lengths: 2 hours 54 min and 3 hours 29 min respectively.
Senator for life of the Italian Republic. Christian-Democrat Deputy to the Italian Parliament, then several-times minister (Agriculture, External Trade, Industry and Trade, Treasury). Prime Minister from 1971 to 1972, he became a Deputy to the European Parliament, and served as President from 1977 to 1979. He promoted the reinforcement of European political cooperation (Genscher-Colombo initiative, 1981). He also served as Foreign Affairs Minister (1980–1983; 1992–1993).
- Interviewed in Rome, 19 February, 2010. Length: 1 hour 10 min.
Journaliste français, ancien directeur général de l’information à la Commission européenne et au Parlement européen ainsi que directeur de cabinet du président du Parlement européen, Pierre Pflimlin.
- Interviewed in Lausanne, 20 March 2014. Lenght : 1 hour 30 min.
French political figure. Former President of the national council of the Socialist Party. He successively held various ministerial posts before his election as president of the Committee of Regions of the European Union in Brussels in February 2006.
- Interviewed at the Foundation – Dorigny Farm, 27 June, 2008. Length: 51 minutes 34.
Director General of the European Space Agency (ESA)
- Interviewed in Paris, 3 April 2012. Length: 48 min.
Special advisor to the cabinet of the EU commissioner, Mrs. Androulla Vassiliou (Education, Culture, Multilingualism, and Youth). Honorary Director General of the European commission.
- Interviewed at the Foundation – Dorigny Farm, 24 June, 2011. Length : 1 hour 53 min.
- Interviewed at the Foundation – Dorigny Farm, 12 June 2014. Length : 1 hour 36 min.
Vice-President of the Jean Monnet Association. Honorary Director General of the European Commission. Member of the executive council of the Jean Monnet Foundation for Europe. Former colleague of Robert Marjolin.
- Interviewed at the Hotel Continental, Lausanne, 3 June, 2010. Length: 1 hour 27 min.
He joined the Quai d’Orsay in 1950 and was detached to Jean Monnet 1951-1952. Became Director for Asia, Director of the economic and financial Affairs, Ambassador in the USSR 1979-82 and in Germany 1982-83. Close to René Pleven.
- Interviewed at the Foundation – Ferme de Dorigny, October 3, 2013. Lenght : 2 hours 42 min.
José María Gil-Robles
Lawyer. Professor and Jean Monnet Chair at the University of Madrid. Former President of the European Parliament and the European Movement International. President of the Jean Monnet Foundation for Europe.
- Interviewed at the Foundation – Dorigny Farm, 23 February, 2009. Length: 58 minutes 10.
- Interviewed in Madrid, 31 October, 2011. Length: 2 hours.
Political analyst, sociologist and French historian of German origin. Refugee in France with his family from 1933, he taught at the Institut d’Études Politiques (Institute of Political Studies) of Paris, he was political commentator at “Le monde” and occupy the same function at “La Croix” and Ouest-France. His works and teaching exercised a big influence, in particular for the reconciliation and the French-German cooperation.
- Interview realized in Paris, on 3 December , 2014. Length: 1 hour 42 min.
Otto de Hapsburg-Lorraine
Deputy to the European Parliament from 1979 to 1999.
- Interviewed at Pöcking (Germany), 5 February, 2004. Length: 2 hours 17 min.
- Interviewed at Pöcking (Germany), 6 February 2004. Length : 2 hours 35 min.
Prime Minister and Finance Minister of the Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg. President of the Eurogroupe.
- Interviewed in Luxembourg, 10 November, 2008. Length: 1 hour.
Director General of the Centre International de Formation Européen in Nice. Professor at the European Institute of High International Studies in Nice, and President of the development council of this same institute. President of the Europäisches Bildungsinstitut in Bonn. Director of the journal “L’Europe en formation.”
- Interviewed in Nice (France), 22 June, 1999. Length: 2 hours 27 min.
Former colleague of President Walter Hallstein. Former spokesperson for the European Commission. Head of the Representation of the Community at Athens during negotiations for Greek membership.
- Interviewed at Chernex (Vaud) on 4 and 7 October, 1999. Lengths: 2 hours 50 min and 2 hours 10 min.
Labour politician. Minister for European Affairs in Tony Blair’s government from 2002 to 2005. Member of the House of Commons in 1994, he occupied various posts in the British Parliament.
- Interviewed at the Foundation – Dorigny Farm, 30 March, 2007. Length: 45 minutes.
Jordi Pujol i Soley
Spanish politician. Promoter of Catalan autonomy. Founder in 1974 of the political party Convergència Democràtica de Catalunya, for which he remains president. After serving as head of the Catalan national party, Convergència i Unió, he became President of the regional government of Catalonia from 1980 to 2003.
- Interviewed at the Foundation – Dorigny Farm, 27 June, 2008. Length: 46 minutes 38.
Emeritus professor of Universities in political science, teaching at the Institut d’Études Politiques(Institute of Political Studies) of Grenoble and Paris, as well as College of Bruges. Founder member of the group of studies ” Notre Europe ” beside Jacques Delors, president, before the big extension of the European Union, the Think tank of the Commissionership in the Plan asked to propose a reform of its institutions.
- Interviewed in Grenoble, 14 january 2014. Lenght : 1 hour 13 min.
Former colleague of Jean Monnet at the Plan. Jean Monnet’s former Cabinet Director. Honorary General Director for Information to the European Commission. Creator of the Eurobarometer.
- Interviewed at the Hotel Continental, Lausanne, 3 June, 2010. Length: 1 hour 43 min.
German politician of the Social democratic party ( SPD). Federal Chancellor from 1974 till 1982. Since the end of his political career, Helmut Schmidt works as writer and journalist.
- Interviewed in Hamburg, 21 October, 2013. Length: 1 hour 31 mm.
Hans Dietmar Schweisgut
Ambassador. Permanent representative of Austria to the European Union.
- Interviewed at the Foundation – Dorigny farm, 16 December, 2009. Length: 45 minutes.
Former President and former Prime Minister of the Republic of Portugal.
- Interviewed at the Foundation – Dorigny farm, 12 September, 2009. Length: 1 hour 5 min.
President of the Center for Global Economy and Geopolitics (ESADEgeo), former High representative of the European Union on Common Foreign and Security Policy.
Interviewed in Barcelona (Spain), 21 September, 2011. Length: 57 min. 30.